- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour*
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbs low fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (can omit)
- 1/4 tsp orange extract**
- Zest of half a lemon (can use orange zest instead)
- 1 cup blueberries***
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into dry mix using a pastry blender.
- Mix the remaining wet ingredients except for the berries in another bowl.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and stir to mix them together.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.****
- Bake for 18 minutes.
*Instead of using 2 cups white flour, I used 1 cup of white and 1 cup of wheat to make these scones more healthy.
**Instead of using orange extract, you can squeeze a little orange or lemon juice in and reduce the amount of buttermilk.
***If using frozen blueberries, warm them to room temp by running warm water over them.
****Be gentle with this kind of dough - over-working it will make it tough.